The following phrases are used for Dr. Rashad Khalifa words by those who cannot get themselves to believe God in 6:114-115 that God’s words in the Quran are complete, fully detailed and the only source of law. Some cannot even define what they mean when they use the word Quran.
Quran was his source
God was his source
His teachings are in the Quran
Point one mistake by the messenger
Did he make any mistakes
Right of interpretation
Obey & Trust the messenger
He did not speak on his own
His job was to explain the Quran
By using the phrases above and rejecting 6:114-115 the clear implication is made that Rashad Khalifa was infallible and that his words are infallible.
Only the words of the Arabic Quran are infallible (2:2, 10:37).
No other words other than the complete words of God in the Quran
can be a source of law.
No other words, even direct words of the messenger can be a source of law.
Correct understanding was given to Solomon. God spoke to Moses and Jesus was supported by the Holy Spirit all his life. All these were exclusive to the mentioned messengers.
[21:79] We granted Solomon the correct understanding, though we endowed both of them with wisdom and knowledge. We committed the mountains to serve David in glorifying (God), as well as the birds. This is what we did.
THE QURAN ON QURAN AS A SOURCE OF LAW
[6:114] Shall I seek other than GOD as a source of law, when He has revealed to you this book fully detailed? Those who received the scripture recognize that it has been revealed from your Lord, truthfully. You shall not harbor any doubt.
[6:115] The word of your Lord is complete, in truth and justice. Nothing shall abrogate His words. He is the Hearer, the Omniscient.
[6:19] Say, “Whose testimony is the greatest?” Say, “GOD’s. He is the witness between me and you that this Quran has been inspired to me, to preach it to you and whomever it reaches. Indeed, you bear witness that there are other gods beside GOD.” Say, “I do not testify as you do; there is only one god, and I disown your idolatry.”
[18:27] You shall recite what is revealed to you of your Lord’s scripture. Nothing shall abrogate His words, and you shall not find any other source beside it.
RASHAD KHALIFA ON THE QURAN RATHER THAN HIM AS THE SOURCE OF LAW
A common refrain is ‘did Rashad Khalifa make mistakes.’ The obvious implication is how dare you suggest that he made mistakes. What is unsaid by them is that he was infallible because God was his source, the Quran was his source and he did not speak on his own. Infallible means incapable of making mistakes or being wrong.
The ‘how dare’ question applies to Dr. Khalifa who consistently reminded us of his fallibility, the fact he can make mistakes and the fact that we should go by the word of God in the Quran rather than his words.
The stripping of common sense is the surest sign that something has gone awry. The fact that some reject 6:114-115 and consider the words of the messenger as infallible is an example of stripped common sense.
The phrases at the beginning of the note like ‘obey & trust’, ‘did not speak on his own’, ‘authorized explanations, ‘correct understanding’, etc. will all apply to the following words of the messenger.
The complete quotes with the sources are in this link:
The messenger’s words:
- The moment they seek guidance from anything besides the Quran, no matter how “right” it seems, they fall into Satan’s trap (see 63:1). Appendix 19
- Upholding any source beside the Quran reflects disbelief in the Quran (Appendix 18). Footnote 6:115
- We follow the words of God and if Rashad Khalifa says anything on his own, we don’t listen to him…. Quran is the last message from God. Remember it is the message, not the messenger
- …your criteria is the Quran. If it is not in the Quran don’t believe it, no matter who is talking to you. It is a very simple principle. This is what we follow.
- Principle is – if not in the Quran we do not follow it.
- I believe That the Quran is complete, perfect and fully detailed because God said so in the Quran.
- …therefore, if you go to anything else, you are rejector of the Quran. You have rejected disbelieved God.
- Our only source must be His Word – The Quran
- The criterion of obeying the messenger is that whatever he says must be in the Quran and be backed up by what God is saying. If it is not in the Quran, it is your obligation to disobey him.
- And if anyone, I will underline anyone, who comes up with information that is not confirmed by the Quran, we tell him forget it, we don’t accept it. The criterion is preaching, confirming existing scripture, the Quran and nothing else.
- We follow only God. We follow only the word of God. As you know, I will be the first to tell you, if it is my opinion, if it is Rashad Khalifa, don’t follow him, because you will probably do the wrong thing.
- If you follow Dr. Khalifa, you are not right. Anybody here, and we all know this, we do not follow any person and we emphasize here we are worshippers of God alone. We follow the word of God alone.
- …So therefore, you are reciting these verses, if you obey the Rasool you will uphold the Quran, the whole Quran and nothing but the Quran. If you go to anything other than the Quran, you are not obeying the messenger.
- Our Almighty Creator commands that QURAN, specifically QURAN, SHALL BE THE ONLY SOURCE of religious teachings.
- Furthermore, we are told that THE ACCEPTANCE OF ANY OTHER SOURCES for religious guidance equals the setting up of OTHER GODS BESIDE GOD:
- Again and again, we are reminded that the following of ANY OTHER SOURCE BESIDE QURAN EQUALS THE SETTING UP OF OTHER GODS BESIDE GOD.
- God says that Quran is COMPLETE, PERFECT, & FULLY DETAILED, and that you shall not seek any other source:
- Obeying the messenger is absolute only as far as the Quranic revelations are concerned.
- Obeying the messenger is in upholding Quran, the whole Quran, and nothing but Quran.
- Obedience is strictly ON CONDITION THAT the source is God through the messenger, and not the messenger who is no more than a human being, subject to errors.
- Quran is the only “Hadith” to be followed; all other Hadiths are blasphemous and misleading fabrications:
- When we seek “religious” instructions from Muhammad, or any other source beside God, we support Satan in his claim that God needs a partner. Therefore, those who worship God ALONE follow the instructions and teachings of GOD ALONE. As shown throughout this book, God’s teachings are complete, perfect, and fully detailed in Quran.
- When I keep talking about GOD ALONE, does this annoy you? Do you have to hear other names along with God? Can GOD ALONE survive in your mind?
- When I repeat, and repeat, my talk about GOD ALONE, do you feel any repulsion? Or, are you happy and content with the talk about GOD ALONE??? Based on the Great Quranic criterion, as stated in 39:45, your answers to these questions provide the key to knowing yourself, and your destiny.
None of the above, in any way, means that any of Dr. Khalifa’s work should be cast aside nor does it mean that a thorough study of his should not be done nor does it mean that anyone should be discouraged from study of his works/ videos, etc.
It simply means, that when a point of view is advocated, can support from the words of the Quran be provided. The source remains the Quran (Statute Book). Explanation does not become a source.